We often tend to overlook the healthy fruits we come across at the grocery store everyday. They provide pretty exciting benefits. Many of them are great sources of vitamins, minerals and fibre too.
You’ve surely heard one or two things about why you need to consume more fruits. Especially with Covid-19 and all that is going on, you need your health bar level raised as high as possible.
Many of these everyday healthy fruits add invaluable health benefits in our daily diets. Still not convinced? We’ve picked some basic fruits you see pretty much all the time. You’d be surprised with the impressive functions they grant for the body.
Here are 7 healthy fruits with amazing benefits that you should keep in consideration every time you go for grocery shopping.
1. Apple – Most Common Of All Everyday Fruits
Recall that common saying: “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” You’re about to find out why is it so?
Apples are quite delightful to taste. Not only can you eat them whole as snacks. But they taste great in meals too. They are rich in fibre. A medium-sized apple contains 4.4 grams of fibre. This renders them good for heart health.
Studies have shown that there’s a link between regular consumption of apples and a lowered risk of cardiovascular diseases. Pectin in apples is excellent for good gut health.
Here are some other benefits of this healthy fruit:
- Apples can lower high blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- As a high-fibre fruit, apples can aid digestion
- They can strengthen the immune system
- Apples lower the risk for type-2 diabetes
- Apples may reduce the risk of certain cancers due to their high levels of fibre and antioxidants
To achieve the highest benefits, always try to eat the apple with its skin.
2. Banana – Healthy Fruit That You Should Not Be Missing
Bananas are excellent sources of vitamin B6. They contain minerals, antioxidants and dietary fibre. One medium-sized banana contains about 3 grams of fibre. They are also well known for their high potassium content. An average banana contains about 400 mg of potassium.
These nutrients render this everyday fruit essential to our diet. What makes banana particularly interesting is that its nutrient content varies with its level of ripeness. Unripe bananas contain a lot of resistant starch. This can regulate your blood sugar levels after meals.
Here are other health benefits of banana, that you should remember:
- Vitamin B6 in banana helps in production of red blood cells
- Vitamin C in banana helps to protect your body against tissue damage
- Manganese in banana protects your skin cells
- Potassium in banana helps to improve your cardiovascular health and blood pressure levels
3. Orange – The Power Packed Fruit
Oranges are one of the most popular fruits globally. A true representation of a healthy everyday fruit. Oranges, as well as other citrus fruits like lemons, are known for their high Vitamin C and citric acid content. They are also good sources of folic acid and thiamine.
Other health benefits are:
- Orange is a water-rich fruit. Adequate fluid intake helps to improve circulation and eliminate waste from the body
- Vitamin C present aids absorption of iron and subsequently prevent anaemia
- Antioxidants in oranges help provide protection against infection
- Citric acid may lower the risk of having kidney stones
4. Strawberries – Health, Taste And Shape All Together
The shape of this beautiful fruit is enough to depict its requirement in your diet. Interestingly, as it takes over the shape of the heart. It offers protective functions to the organ. It lowers your blood pressure and increase levels of HDL (good) cholesterol.
This healthy everyday fruit is rich in manganese, Vitamin C, fibre and folic acid. Strawberries also have a high antioxidant level that lowers your risk of chronic disease.
Studies have shown that strawberries are associated with having anti-cancer properties. You can eat them whole or slice them into your yoghourt or breakfast cereal.
5. Grapefruit – An Often Underrated Fruit
This is a popular citrus fruit known for its relatively sour taste. Perhaps the reason that it is often overlooked. It is a highly nutritious fruit containing minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and fibre. It is known to enhance weight loss and reduce cholesterol levels.
Despite its high nutrient content, this everyday fruit is low in calories compared to other fruits. Below are potent health benefits of eating grapefruits:
- It can reduce insulin resistance thereby lowering your risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- It helps protect the heart by regulating blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of kidney stones
- Has high water content
- May strengthen your immune system.
6. Watermelon – Everyday Fruit Full Of Benefits
This tasty round fruit is highly rich in vitamin A and C, it also contains powerful antioxidants like lycopene which provide several anti-cancer benefits. Moreover, of all the fruits, watermelon has one of the highest water content (92% water).
Well here are other health benefits that you can get from this everyday fruit:
- Watermelon contains carotenoids which will be converted to vitamin A in the body
- It has several heart promoting compounds like lycopene and citrulline that improve heart health
- Antioxidants present help to lower inflammation and oxidative stress
- The vitamins present are important for healthy skin and hair
- Watermelon is rich in fibre and water which aid digestion
7. Mango – Never Let Them Go
Mango is another exciting fruit low in calories but high in nutrients. Apart from being delicious, it is particularly rich in vitamin C and soluble fibre.
Mangoes are quite easy to include in your diet. You can slice them and serve with other fruits. Alternatively they serve as great addition to smoothies as well. Below are the health benefits posed by this everyday fruit:
- Contains nutrients that improve heart health
- It is rich in nutrients like folate and B vitamins which help to strengthen immunity
- It has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that lower your risk of diseases
- Mangoes contain several nutrients that aid eye health
Note that mango has relatively high sugar content. Hence, its better that you consume them in moderate amounts.
Fruits are generally essential to our wellbeing. You don’t need to drain your pockets to stay healthy. Try a variety of these everyday healthy fruits and stay on top of your health game.